Saturday, May 17, 2014

Back to Haiti !

It's a beautiful day in North Carolina. Little humidity (hard to believe, I know) and highs in the low 70's.
Right now, it's in the mid-80s in Port-au-Prince Haiti with high humidity and thunderstorms expected every day of the week for the next week.
I can't wait to get there.
Tomorrow morning, I'll be flying back to Haiti, back to Zanmi Beni Orphanage and back to the children and caregivers I met last year on my first trip there.
This year I'm lucky to be traveling along with Tim Sanford, a resident in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at UNC (where I practice) and Beth Leiro, a friend and pediatric physical therapist from Chapel Hill.




Thanks to generous donations from our supporters, the three of us will be spending the next week working with disabled children and their caregivers at Zanmi Beni. Thanks to a Google grant through the NC Children's Hospital, we're also bringing a new iPad to donate to the orphanage so we can meet with them via videoconferencing (FaceTime anyone?) throughout the year as needed.

I've  got lots of things planned, but first, I've got to finish spraying my clothes with Permethrin (to cut down on my chance of being bitten by mosquitoes ).



Tomorrow, we catch an early flight to Miami and then connect on to Port-au-Prince.
I'll be updating this blog each day to share our experiences and lessons learned.

Bonswa !


No comments:

Post a Comment